Liz Bartlett - Astrophysicist
• Claude Leon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow (100% independent research)
University of Cape Town, Republic of South Africa
• PhD Student
University of Southampton, UK; Advisor: Prof. Malcolm Coe
• Masters Student
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, Cambridge, MA, USA
Advisor:Dr Michael Garcia
2009 - 2013
2005 - 2009
02/2014 - present
2009 - 2013
2008 - 2009
• PhD Astrophysics, University of Southampton, UK
Title: "High Mass X-ray Binaries in the Milky Way and Beyond: A Multiwavelength Temporal
and Spectroscopic Study"
• MPhys, Physics with Astronomy with Year Abroad, University of Southampton, UK
First Class Honours
2005 - 2007
• Claude Leon Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship (one of the few fellowships awarded to non-
African nationals in South Africa)
• Fellowship covering academic year at the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
• Scholarship for UK based years of my Undergraduate degree (had to applied for yearly)
• Ethan Roberts: "Long Term Variability of Extragalactic Low Mass X-ray Binaries"
BSc (Hons), University of Cape Town (gone on to Masters)
UNIVERSITY OF CAPE TOWN
• Galactic and Extragalactic Astrophysics (AST3003S)
• Lectured students on observing techniques and practises
• Supervised students on an observing run on the 1.9m Radcliffe Telescope at SAAO Sutherland
• Taugh students how to reduce and calibrate their longslit spectra (taken on observing run)
• Ran drop in 'software surgeries'
• Observing Techniques 1: Optical and Infrared Astronomy (AST4007W, Graduate course)
• Designed and ran software tutorials
• Wrote course material
• Astronomical Techniques (AST2003H)
• Lectured students about basic statistics in astronomy (including propagation of errors, photon
noise and probability distributions)
• Designed and ran accompanying workshops.
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHAMPTON
• Problems Class Tutor
• Lead problems classes for and graded assignments for a range of modules including Motion and
• Public lectures for Adults and Children: SAAO open evenings, Astronomical Society of South
• Job Shadows: Showing high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds a day in the
life of an astronomer.
• Science Highlights with SALT: YouTube video discussing some of the results I've had with SALT.
• UCT Astronomy Social Media Officer: Running the astronomy departement's social media
portfolio, including Facebook and Twitter.
• BBC Stargazing Live events: Took part in local and regional events.
• Astrodome: Taking a mobile planetarium to schools and colleges and teaching children rom
aged 5-18 about astronomy.
• Astrophotography workshops: Teaching the public how to photograph constellations and other